Nice Introduction from the Acronis website:
“There are three unavoidable certainties in life: Death, Taxes and Hard Disk Drive Failures.
Acronis does not have a solution for the first; however, we can make sure that your financial records, photos, videos and other items of sentimental or monetary value are protected so that you can cherish the memories and pay your taxes on time!
Acronis Drive Monitor is a free tool that helps monitor your hard drive, and prevent data loss.”
How? Understanding the Technology:
S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) is a disk monitoring technology which can predict many disk failures. This technology is implemented on the most modern hard drives.
Many hard disk monitoring software e.g Acronis Drive Monitor query this information to analyze and predict hard drive health, status, failure.
Supported Hard Drives according to the Acronis website:
“With the first version of Acronis Drive Monitor, the level of support may be described as following:
· Vast majority of internal drives attached to internal I/O controllers are supported.
· Most USB-connected drives are supported, too.
· Many software RAID controllers are supported.
· Most hardware RAID controllers are not yet supported.”
1. Suitable for monitoring the hard disk on your laptop or PC because the hard disk is not attached to a hardware raid controller .
2. In general, software raid controllers can be monitored but not hardware RAID controllers
3. Data found on the hard disk must be regularly backup’d as a good practice, not only when the monitoring software starts giving you a warning or error.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to Acronis in any way. This information is for educational purpose only.
The author cannot be held responsible for any data loss which might occur even after using this software (Acronis Drive Monitor).